Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Halloween in West Hollywood

Greetings! This has been the worst year of posting to Southern in Socal that we've ever had - probably because this has been one of the busiest. I'll try to improve that!

Jay recently went out of town to spend some time with his dad and brother. The three met in Florida to watch the shuttle launch, originally scheduled for this Monday. Due to repairs the shuttle was not launched and so they missed it, but Jay did get to hang out with family, which was the more important part of their trip.

I stayed home to mind Meow and generally keep the household running. Per my usual habit, I stayed very busy! On Saturday I attended a cook out at my friends' house in Echo Park, and on Sunday I decided to go to West Hollywood with Gil and Alex. The West Hollywood Halloween Carnaval is the second largest event held in Los Angeles, even bigger than the Oscars. I've heard a lot about it, mainly about the crowds and outrageous costumes. It seemed very much like something one should see in their life, so off I went!

I dressed as a flapper (a bit of my costume is seen in the picture below) but I forgot my camera. Early in the evening I handed out candy to our annual Trick-or-Treaters, and got dressed. We all had dinner at Sunnin in Westwood before we headed off to Sunset Boulevard. The drive was very slow due to the street closures and large number of people trying to get to where we were going. But eventually we made it, and spent 3 hours just walking the streets and taking it all in - and it was amazing! The amount of time, effort, and thought that must have gone into many of the costumes was amazing. I speculate that at least some of the attendees work in the entertainment industry and perhaps had access to some Hollywood prop houses and costumes. Certainly at least some make-up artists were in the mix, because they were flawless! Some of the more amazing costumes came from Tron, there were some incredible mad hatters, and perhaps my favorite were the people made up as though they were Mexican day of the dead dolls.

This picture was from Gil and Alex's camera, if I get some additional ones I will post them here. Gil dressed as a ghost, and Alex as a homocidal ram. He got a lot of attention! Everything I am wearing I already owned, except my headpiece, which I bought at a Halloween store for $12.00. Not too bad for a frugal Halloween costume!

No comments: