Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Another busy L. A. weekend

I had meant this weekend to be one where I got caught up on long-neglected housework and just rested, but that just doesn't seem to be a possibility in our lives! As soon as Friday approaches, about a dozen plans present themselves to us and the next thing I know our quiet weekend at home has turned into circus trips, museum visits, afternoons with friends, and enjoying a new restaurant. What a wonderful life! We really live a charmed life, and have made so many cool friends.

So, on to our weekend: Jay finally got a replacement printer for his photography work. He had an enormous wide-format high-quality photo printer that got trashed in the wreck. Our insurance was enough to cover a computer and our furniture, but that was it. Since we also had to buy a new car, there was no way we were going to be able to replace the printer. Now, 2 years later and after much hard work and planning, Jay has his new baby! It's so large (30 inch by 12 inch footprint) that we had to move our computer into the spare bedroom. We spent most of Saturday cleaning out and reorganizing, and now we have a functional office. We got rid of a lot of clutter in the process, and that makes me so happy! We even got to squeeze in a trip to the Container Store, and now my gift wrap and all my cards are perfectly organized. It's enough to give a girl with OCD like myself an organization orgasm. So happpyyyyy! Not that any of you were probably interested in hearing that, but darn it I just cannot contain my joy.

That evening we had dinner with several of Jay's friends from Ikon. Stephanie Wong, a sales rep that Jay often spent time with, is going to graduate school to become a high school guidance counselor. We wanted to give her a good send-off, and I think we succeeded. We met at their former boss's apartment off Le Brea Ave. The building was built in the 1920's, just before the depression hit. The architecture and art deco touches were conserved by the building's current owner, and the apartment is stunning with wood paneling, old tile work, preseved hard woods, even the old ice box is intact and used as storage in the kitchen. We walked from there to a restaurant called Amalfi. Another great restaurant here in L.A. We had shots there called chocolate cake (so yummy) and they had my favorite wine, a riesling from Gainey Vineyards. Jay had the gnocchi and I had smoked salmon fettucini. We had a lot of fun, and didn't get home until 3 am.

That meant we slept in, and got up just in time to make it to the 1 pm start of the Dodgers vs. Braves. Jay got to attend two of the Braves games here, which made his week. We enjoyed Dodger dogs and caramel popcorn, and I got sunburned BIG TIME. Good game, with the Braves winning the third out of four games. We ended our evening back home where we ordered in Indian food, watched True Blood, and swore to finally have a quiet weekend, "next week." Yeah, I'll believe it when it happens!

1 comment:

Mandi said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one that happens to. I plan a quiet weekend, and by Thursday, I can tell it's not going to happen. But a life full of quiet weekends wouldn't be any fun, right?
I love that "organization orgasm". Too funny! The Container Store does that to me as well.