Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Bathroom remodel - things get worse before they get better!

As the old saying goes, things usually get worse before they get better.  That's especially true when remodeling.  The old hall bathroom was ugly enough that I did not even want guests to visit.  How sad is that?  So I was excited to start the remodel, because that meant that things were going to get better.  But oh, the in between....construction materials everywhere, dust everywhere, exposed pipes, trash, bathroom things in the guest room, topsy turvy madness.  I really kept repeating the mantra:  "Things get worse before they get better - better is on the way!"  We finished the bathroom in about 5 weekends of steady work.  Not too bad, all things considered.  We survived, and now we have a bathroom that I encourage my guests to visit.
The pocket door is installed where the wall used to be.  This was a kit we bought that allowed us to modify the existing door.
The shiny, beautiful new tub.  I was so excited about the tub.  The old one had been painted pink, then painted cream, had patched holes, and so much built up grime I could never get it clean.  I took one shower there and felt dirty afterwards.
After the tub was installed and the pocket door was up, we replaced the old surround with cement board and tile.  Cement board is much heavier than sheetrock, and better suited for tile in a wet area.  If cement board gets wet, it gets harder, and is extremely resistant to mold or mildew.  We decided that in case of an earthquake, we want to be in this room!  We cut in a spot for an inset where shampoo can sit. 
Here we are dry fitting the tile for the shower surround.  We selected a rectangular ceramic tile for the shower.  The accent tile is natural stone and copper.  It set off the bronze fixtures we selected perfectly!  I do all the tile work with Jay assisting.  He makes most of the cuts and encourages me when I start using foul language. All the tiling was completed in one weekend.
If I had to pick one part of remodeling I hate the most, it's probably plumbing.  I have watched and assisted Jay in plumbing so many times now, and it really seems that it is as much an art as a trade.  We also had a diving buddy who is also a general contractor visit while we were working.  He said that it looked pretty good for a homeowner DIY - so we consider that a compliment. 

So behold the finished product!  A bathroom that I am enamored with.  I am so pleased about how our choices on fixtures and tile seemed to come together.
We installed a pedestal sink to have more floor space.  To make up for the loss of the vanity and the medicine cabinet, we put a cabinet above the toilet.  The toilet is the same one we had before, just cleaned up.  The wainscoting was all replaced, as was all the trim.  The floor tiles are 18 x 18.  The color on the walls is Toffee by Behr.  We chose oil rubbed fixtures for everything, including the outlet and switch plate covers. 

I think the tile job turned out pretty well if I do say so myself!  The inset was tiled with floor tiles to tie the two together.  The accent tiles go nicely with the oil rubbed bronze fixtures we chose for the tub (the fixtures are Delta Porterfield).  And the tub.... it just shines.  I smile every time I walk past this room.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Beautiful April!! You guys do GREAT work!!!

Jay said...

Thanks cousin!