Thursday, January 6, 2011

Welcome to the New Year!

Happy 2011! We had an extremely busy 2010, and it looks like this year will be the same. We spent the holidays in San Antonio with Jay's family, and had a wonderful time. Our new nephew is beautiful, and just as advanced as Darren had told us. He quickly figured out "scooting" when we arrived, and tried several times to wrangle Uncle Jay's camera. Another budding photographer in the family.

I continued my annual tradition of getting sick during the holidays. I was sick at Thanksgiving, right before Christmas, during Christmas, and then sick for New Year. Jay and I rang in 2011 with me asleep on the couch, taking decongestants. He woke me up 20 minutes before midnight, got a New Year's kiss, and then we were both asleep by 12:30. Party animals, I know. I stayed sick at work, and finally caved on Tuesday and stayed home to nurse a sinus infection and 100 F fever.

While I am back at work and feeling much, much better, the congestion has remained, leading to this fun conversation at the lab with my bay mate Chris. Chris is hilarious, and has had to put up with quite a bit of my silliness. But this exchange was a classic. I had gotten a baked potato for lunch from the Greenhouse at Ackerman. Chris was apparently unaware they had a baked potato bar there, and when he came into the lunchroom, he said, "Hey, where did you buy a baked potato on campus?" I stared at him a moment, and then asked in a very puzzled voice, "What the hell did you just say to me about pink bananas?" Yes, I was still experiencing that lovely sensation of having a bucket over my head. My ears were ringing the entire day, and Chris did not miss an opportunity to bring up pink bananas.

2 comments:

Mandi said...

Our NYE was about as exciting as yours. I hope you are finally feeling better and that you and Jason have a wonderful 2011!

Tony said...

Ugh...I hate sinus infections. Our NYE was rainy, so we set off a few artillery rounds, and a big box and called it a night. We set the rest of the fireworks off on the first. I had to get on a plane for my new job at 6 AM on the 2nd, so we just stayed up all night on the 1st. Hope you and yours have a great New Year.