Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Good-bye Patrick Swayze

When I was 11 years old, the movie Dirty Dancing was released. I didn't see it until I was 12, when my aunt gave me a video cassette tape of the movie. My mom didn't speak to my aunt for months after that; she complained that all I did that summer was watch Dirty Dancing. And I did. Every single day, I watched Dirty Dancing, practiced the steps, and wished I could dance that well. That was probably when I realized how much I enjoy dancing, and it's only been for short periods since then that I haven't been taking some form of dance class. I also developed an enormous crush on Patrick Swayze. I still love the movie, the music, the dancing, and I still have a crush on Patrick Swayze. Not because he's handsome and moves like magic, but because over time I think he showed himself to embody a lot of the ideals I held for a person. He was married to his wife, Lisa, for over 30 years. He seemed modest and idealistic, doing films he wanted to do because he liked them, not necessarily because he was trying to be the biggest movie star in Hollywood. He did the work because that was what he loved to do. I also admired how strong he stayed throughout his fight with cancer. I admired him, and I feel for his wife and mother, and I'm so sad that I've lost my first crush. I think Jay will be getting lots of extra love today, because I'm so grateful we've still got our 30 years ahead of us.

No comments: