Sunday, May 17, 2009

Renaissance Faire, revisited


As I sat down to write this post with Jay, an earthquake happened. It is the first one Jay has been able to feel. As usual, I got dizzy. Meow was perfectly calm the entire time, and in fact sat with me, purring and licking until she decided a nap was more interesting. According to the quake data, it was a 5.0 and lasted around 30 seconds. Not fun. The epicenter was about 2 miles south, 3-4 miles east.

On Saturday, Jay and I went to the Renaissance Pleasure Faire. Jay had attended last weekend, and bought me a beautiful costume. This costume, while lovely, involved a corset and that really took some getting used to. Jay's costume was extremely creative, and he pieced it together with things he had on hand and a couple of items from Target.

We had a wonderful time wandering through the faire, bowing and curtsying to the nobility. We even spied Queen Elizabeth I several times, including sitting with her court.




We ate at the vendors (the required turkey leg and beef ribs) and spent quite a bit of time watching performers. There were singers, dancers, comedians, and many talented musicians. We watched part of the jousts and toured the tourney camp. We also bought some new pottery pieces for our collection. We spent 6 hours at the faire, and left exhausted, dirty and very satisfied. We will be back for more next year!

3 comments:

Mandi said...

You both look great! It has been several years since I have been to the GA RenFest. Matt and I should take the kids. I'm should they would love it.
I'm glad the earthquake wasn't a bad one. I would think I would be too scared to live in LA for that reason.

Tony said...

April,

I hate earthquakes. I'd rather live in hurricane country. At least they're predictable.

April said...

You know, I wouldn't mind the earthquakes if they predictable! You can prepare then. I am big on preparation. We have laid in supplies and traced evac routes, made emergency plans, etc. for the "big one." It's funny you brought that up. I was ranting last night about it, and Jay interrupted me to ask if I were a brownie or a girl scout at some point. No, just a little OCD.