Thursday, September 18, 2008

Why we appreciate our friends...

I know that some of you may be feeling a big neglected - believe me, we feel like we have neglected many of our best friends. It has really been on my mind lately, and something that I feel terrible about. While I don't believe that there is any excuse that forgives this behavior, I hope that you all will continue to be patient with us while we get through what looks to be another overly-eventful year.

We just found out that Jay's mom has a very serious illness, as does my aunt. My family has still been struggling with the loss of my step-father and uncle, and Jay's family has been plagued with very serious health problems among other things. We have both been over-worked and overwhelmed with living 3000 miles away while all these things are going on, and adjusting to the first year of a post-doc life has not been easy for me or for my poor husband. We have been so fortunate to be able to attend the weddings this year, and see many people as they come through, but there are others who are very dear to us that we have not seen or spoken to in quite a while. Please know that we love you and think of you all very often, and hope very much that we will be back in touch soon.

I think the last three years have been the most exhausting and eventful of my entire life thus far, and things just don't seem to be slowing down!

2 comments:

Tony said...

It's tough, being that far from family....trust me, I know. You two are tough, and being post-doc...wow...that's a lot further than I've made it. I am, btw, finally working on finishing that bachelor's degree thingy...I'm only taking two classes a semester, so it might take a while. Anyway, enjoy your time out there. CA is beautiful with a gazillion things to do. I only found about a hundred of them when I was there, and there was sooo much I still wanted to do when we left.

Jane said...

What a great blog youhave - thanks for stopping by mine and for your lovely comments.
Sometimes life does get overhwelming and you are doign what you can do. Just posting your thoughts is letting everyone you love know they are in your thoughts- and I am sure they wouldn't want you to spread yourself any thinner. Your family are luck to have you.